Enter SWEET10 and save 10% off all orders in my Etsy shop!

Enter SWEET10 and save 10% off all orders in my Etsy shop!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

DIY Nursery Wall Decor

Finding fun and modern wall decor is hard. With Reid's nursery, I wanted something on the walls that could grow with him. Here are the three pieces I chose to decorate his nursery with. All were fairly inexpensive to do and one is a DIY!

Vinyl wall art is really big right now. It's a simple and inexpensive way to decorate any room and the possibilities are endless. The only problem is, although vinyl wall art is removable, its not reusable. So if you move or need to switch rooms, your lovely wall art is destroyed.

For Reid's room, I chose this graphic from Janey Mac Press. We were going with a modern zoo theme and this worked perfectly in his room and over his crib. Instead of placing it directly on the wall, I purchased a large canvas from the craft store and painted it an off white color. Then we placed the vinyl graphic directly on the canvas. Now we have a great piece of art that can go with us anywhere!
The next piece is simple and easy as well. I searched and searched for something to place over the changing table and again, everything was just too babyish. I finally found this print from mosieposies and the colors worked perfectly in his room. It's a fresh and modern way to display the alphabet.
I had seen my last piece in a baby boutique somewhere, but in a very girlie version AND it was really expensive. After looking it over, I thought to myself "I can do that!". So I went to the craft store again and picked up a piece of canvas. I took a large enough piece of fabric that complemented his room (this print is Heather Bailey's Hop Dot in Olive) and using a super adhesive glue spray, sprayed the fabric to the front of the canvas. Then using a staple gun, stapled the sides and corners to the canvas. Lastly, I picked up a wooden letter from Pottery Barn Kids and my handy husband used some super duper glue to adhere the letter onto the fabric. (He assured me the letter wasn't going anywhere! So far, so good.) The project probably cost a total of $25! Instead of hanging it, I placed it on top of his dresser and leaned it against the wall.
Happy Decorating!!


No comments: